Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday Matters...



... building a masterpiece, and other things...
I'm not sure if it's due to my daughter's age (only 4), her disposition (naturally curious, sometimes down right nosy), or my superior teaching skills (highly doubtful), but for some reason Monday is one of Gabby's favorite days of the week. I don't let her do her workbooks on the weekends, so by Monday she can not wait to do school work again. Now I remember when I was young I dreaded the school week, especially Mondays, because I felt like all we did was memorize facts for a ridiculous standardized test. Maybe that's the real difference in homeschooling. I don't teach to a test (this does not mean I will not use other methods to asses her progress). Everything we study has a purpose. We don't learn math to pass a quiz, we learn math to know how to measure ingredients in a recipe or to know how many miles it is to grandma's house. We don't read to write research papers, we read to have better understanding of good books or to know if a book is in fact a good book. And now I have gone on much longer than intended. But my point is simple that we homeschool because we want to continually learn, because last time I checked, knowledge is the only thing I get to take with me after this life (now if only I get by scrapbooks to come with me too...)

No comments:

Post a Comment